American Connections LLC, Logo
Phone Icon (844) 381-6588
Contact Us

American Connections LLC

Phone Icon (858) 609-6531

Family-Based Immigration and Fiancé or Spouse Visas

American Connections helps to reunite families from around the world, so that they can build a new future in the U.S. together. We can work with you on any family-based immigration matter, including family-based petitions, as well as relative, fiancé, and marriage visas. The Immigration and Nationality Act allows for the immigration of foreigners to this country based on his or her relationship to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. U.S. citizens may petition for the following relatives:

  • Husband or Wife
  • Unmarried Child Under 21 Years Old
  • Unmarried Son or Daughter Over 21 Years Old
  • Married Son or Daughter of Any Age
  • Brother or Sister That is at Least 21 Years Old
  • Mother or Father That is at Least 21 Years Old

Lawful permanent residents may petition for the following relatives:

  • Husband or Wife
  • Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age
  • Unmarried Son or Daughter Over 21 Years of Age

In order to be able to sponsor a relative to immigrate to the U.S., the following criteria should be met:

  • You must have a qualifying family relationship with the beneficiary.
  • You must be willing to sponsor a relative for lawful permanent residency by filing an I-130 petition for alien relatives.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
  • You must prove that you can support your relative at 125% or more above the mandated poverty line.

K-1 - Fiancé Visa

If you petition for a fiancé to enter this country, you must show that:

  • You, the petitioner, are a U.S. citizen.
  • You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé entering the U.S.
  • You and your fiancé are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by either divorce, death, or annulment.
  • You have met each other, in person, at least once within two years of filing your petition.

There are two exceptions to this that require a waiver:

  • The requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé's foreign culture or social practice.
  • You can prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.

Once the fiancé visa has been issued, it allows your fiancé to enter the U.S. for 90 days, so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry, your spouse may then apply for permanent residence.

Interviewing a Couple

K-3 - Spouse Visa

The K-3 visa allows the spouse of a U.S. citizen, as well as their children, to enter the country as non-immigrants. This allows them to apply for immigrant status within this country rather than having to wait for one abroad.